As I start to use these products I will be reviewing them and do price comparisons- with what I enjoyed about them. For now they are a list of links that people have suggested or I have found. Currently I don’t have kids so can’t review the child based products but am hoping some readers out there might be inspired to have a go and can let me know and comment and review!
Mostly all are plastic free or at least plastic reducing. Some may have to be asked to not come in plastic – but that is just a quick email away or as a comment on your order! Happy Buying.
Lunchboxes: http://www.planetbox.com/ or http://www.castlebergoutdoors.co.uk/ (to buy Lunchbots lunchboxes – alternatives to plastic aren’t cheap. These seem to the cheapest I have found so far: http://ecolunchboxes.com/ (I hope to invest in the future and review) But because they are coming from America you are looking at around £10 shipping cost so you might want to wait for a sale 🙂
Waterbottle http://www.kleankanteen.com/products/the-reflect-27oz?variant=860232191 ($32 dollars plus shipping)
Waterbottle https://www.notonthehighstreet.com/greentulip/product/retap-glass-water-bottle-500ml?force_locale=en-GB&gclid=Cj0KEQiAtri0BRDLoaCF95e7o_sBEiQA_pgRQxAzjr_Jfxg6S-W8yCtzXJ4wH_P86iS1roTH4RhguK0aAmAj8P8HAQ This is cheaper but not completely plastic free the bottle is glass but the lid is plastic. However, the plastic lid is BPA free (which means it is potentially better for your health). Potentially a good compromise for some people out there. (£11 plus postage)
Washable Cloths: http://www.cheekywipes.com/cloth-baby-wipes.html
Green Nappies http://www.growupgreen.co.uk –If you live in the North East of England they are happy to give you a try before you buy go!
Advice from my friend Emma is that nappies sometimes need a wash a few time to reach their full asborbancy
Food Based/ Related Products
Straws http://zerowasteshop.uk/ – for straws £6.99 for a set of three
Tupperware that is non plastic, lunchboxes, wooden kitchen utensils evt. http://www.lifewithoutplastic.com/store/ An American store (so be aware of postage)
Chewing Gum http://www.greentreegum.com/our-gum/ – Vegan friendly too. $2.99 per pack but again you are ordering outside of Britain so remember packaging costs.
Bathroom Based Products
Toothbrushes http://savesomegreen.co.uk– starting at £3 each or £8 for 3.
Toothbrushes http://zerowasteshop.uk/ – £3.79 with a choice of soft or medium strength bristle
For Shampoos, Conditioners and Deodrants it has to be Lush https://uk.lush.com/ – all not in plastic. Also, they are happy to recycle your black plastic tubs too – so please return them to the shop!
Skincare http://www.nikki-b.co.uk/about.html – she has a plastic free range and sends in plastic free packaging.
- Tampons and Pads http://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/products/natracare/?gclid=CjwKEAiAh560BRDu-aD93r-J_zoSJACrxZG2rrW8achUvrytLEBMEKlezjalwPD6RVs9h2MU9kuCExoCwF3w_wcB – Louise a friend noted that the applicator tampons come wrapped in paper but the non-applicator ones seem to be wrapped in plastic (unless it is something eco that looks and feels like plastic).
- Panty Liners, Period Pads and pads for mum’s who have just given birth. http://www.preciousstars.net/shop.html –
- Tampon Replacement http://www.mooncup.co.uk – These are also available at Boots if you don’t want to buy online.
- Panty Liners, Period Pads and pads – http://www.cheekywipes.com/
- Mooncup – made of rubber http://gladrags.com/product/239/The-Keeper.html The standard mooncup is made from silicon which is argued over as to whether it lies withint the family of rubber or plastic (feel free to research these arguments) but I would recommend as a plastic reducing option.
- Like a Mooncup – but also gives one to a girl living in poverty – check it out, as recommended by Lorraine http://www.femininewear.co.uk/ruby-cup-menstrual-cup—clear-3057-p.asp
Again advice is that to get full absorbency from some of these sanitary towel products you may need to wash them – though I personally found them fine from the off!
Underwear http://savesomegreen.co.uk – made from Bamboo (women’s start at £2.50, men’s start at £10), they also do Socks