So this is really the beginning of discovering how easy it is to live without plastic in England . I am currently based in Sheffield and am looking forward to discovering places to find my non plastic options.
I am wanting to do this because I hope to discover several things including:
- How reliant upon plastic I am in my everyday living
- How much plastic has become part of our commercial world
- To learn what alternative are out there and to be able to make more informed choices
- To learn if there are financial costs to trying to live this slightly greener lifestyle or if it is in fact cheaper/ a similar price.
There are simple rules I have allowed myself to ease myself in:
- If I have something plastic already I can use it up and re-use it (for example I use Ecover products which I can just refill)
- If it is something essential like toilet roll that I can’t get without plastic covering I will be aiming to get recycled plastic covered ones
- I can have a plastic toothbrush and paste until I need to buy new ones. Then I will be having a look at Bamboo options and probably Lush toothpaste / one with the least plastic on.
- If I need medicine that is in plastic I am allowing that my health is important.
However… I cannot
- Buy anything new other than the mentioned above
- This means all food needs to be plastic free
- All pens (I am a student so this is potentially a challenge)
My get out clause:
- Although I will be doing my utmost I am only human. This space is to blog about the trying and in all likelihood the challenges and failures of living without plastic.
The sites so far I have found helpful for those wanting to try and do the same: